Installation for for the Simple Pump hand pump continued...
Section 4: Replacing the Existing Well Cap
This section addresses cap replacement for well with a currently installed electric submersible pump.
*** CRITICAL: YOU MUST HAVE YOUR NEW SIMPLE PUMP WELL CAP INSTALLED, BEFORE
PROCEEDING WITH THE NEXT STEP --- i.e. THE INSTALLATION OF YOUR DROP PIPES. ***
- When you untangled the pump wiring, you should have found connections. Typically these are wire nuts under electrical tape. They may be crimped connectors, in which case you will need to cut the wires close to the connectors. You will usually have “three wire” connection, which means three wires and a fourth that is ground. Note the colors and disconnect them. As an additional safety precaution, if you have a metal casing, take the bare wire ends coming from the house and touch them to the well casing one at a time as you disconnect them. If for some reason there was power, they would arc against the case and not you. The wires must reconnect in the same order. You may need to tie some twine onto the pump wires to keep them from falling down the well. The wires should however be taped to the piping a few feet down.
- Take the wiring from inside the casing, and pass through the 1" port in the new well cap. Now slide the well cap over the casing, level if necessary and tighten the four outer set screws.
- You will need to carefully evaluate your wiring to determine the best method to enclose the wiring. Sometimes flexible conduit is the easiest method. However you finish off the electrical conduit, make certain that each wire is reconnected to the same wire.
- Make certain that the wiring inside the casing does not obstruct the path for the hand pump piping as you look down through the split flange. The power cables and submersible’s safety lifting cable should be taped to the pipe submersible pump’s pipe, straight up from bottom to top. Neither should spiral around the pipe; they should be as flat against pipe as possible. If this is not the case, you should seek the help of a professional installer.
- Once your existing wiring is reconnected, you can energize your electric pump and make sure that it is working normally before you proceed.
*** For the circular Simple Pump well caps: aluminum cap with steel bolts ***
If you have a submersible pipe coming UP THROUGH the well cap, our circular well cap will be used and installation will normally be done by a professional. But, fyi, if you are working with a circular cap...
Dissimilar metals corrosion is possible, as one might see with an aluminum engine block with special, hardened-steel, head bolts.
To prevent this, use permatex Anti-Seize Compound/Lubricant, available from any auto parts store. ('High temperature capability’, with copper or nickel versions, is not necessary.)